Avenues Blog

Indiana Woman Accused of Dealing Drugs Resulting in Death | Avenues Recovery

Written by Avenues Staff | May 21, 2026 1:22:44 PM

Erin R. Richards, 43, of Frankfort, has been arrested after police said narcotics she allegedly provided were tied to a fatal overdose earlier this year. She now faces one count of Dealing in a Controlled Substance Resulting in Death.

The charge is a Level 1 felony and carries a possible 40-year prison sentence. Richards pleaded not guilty during her initial hearing, while Frankfort Police Chief Scott Shoemaker praised detectives and CSI staff for building a case he said required extensive investigative work.

 

How the Fatal Overdose Investigation Unfolded

Frankfort officers were called on March 18 to the 300 block of Blinn Avenue for an apparent overdose. When they arrived, police found one person at the scene who was later pronounced dead, turning the response into a deeper investigation.

The Clinton County Coroner’s Office later determined the person died from drug intoxication. That finding mattered because it gave investigators a clearer direction, shifting the case from an emergency call into a possible criminal charge tied to the source of the drugs.

Frankfort narcotics detectives then identified Richards as a suspect and developed the case for prosecutors. Chief Scott Shoemaker said these investigations require “extensive investigative techniques,” adding that detectives and CSI worked carefully to prepare the evidence for court.

 

Charges, Bond, and Court Timeline

Richards was officially charged last Thursday in Clinton Circuit Court with one count of Dealing in a Controlled Substance Resulting in Death. Police arrested her Friday and booked her into the Clinton County Jail on the Level 1 felony charge.

During her initial hearing on Friday, May 15, Richards appeared before Judge Bradley Mohler and pleaded not guilty. Court records show she was given a $5,000 cash bond, a relatively specific condition tied to her release while the case proceeds.

The legal timeline is now moving toward trial. Online court records show a jury trial is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. on Aug. 24, 2026, where prosecutors will have to prove the alleged drug dealing caused the death.

 

Why Dealing Resulting in Death Cases Matter

Dealing resulting in death cases matter because prosecutors must connect more than a sale. They have to show the alleged drug supply led to a fatal outcome. That makes toxicology, witness statements, timelines, and phone evidence especially important in court.

In Frankfort, police said the Clinton County Coroner’s Office determined the death was caused by drug intoxication. That finding gave narcotics detectives a starting point, but building a Level 1 felony case still required careful work beyond the overdose scene.

That kind of charge depends on more than a quick arrest, and that point matters. Investigators have to build a careful chain between the alleged drug source, the victim’s death, and the evidence prosecutors later present in court.

 

Endnote

The Frankfort case adds to the debate over how Indiana should handle overdose deaths tied to alleged drug dealing. Some see charges like this as necessary accountability, while others question whether prosecution alone can slow addiction and supply.

What comes next will depend on trial preparation and how prosecutors connect Richards to the narcotics linked to the death. With a jury trial set for Aug. 24, 2026, the case now moves into evidence testing.