Table of Contents
- What is it?
- What are the effects of withdrawal?
- How long does withdrawal last?
- What are the common symptoms?
- Treatment Options
- Medications commonly used during detox
- Addiction withdrawal at Avenues Recovery
I. What is Addiction Withdrawal?
A human body functions on a principle called homeostasis. The concept was originated by Claude Bernard in the mid-1800s and the term coined by Harvard physiologist Walter Cannon in the 1920’s. It defines the body’s ability to constantly adjust and keep all its interdependent elements in equilibrium. In layman’s terms, this means that the body will fight to keep itself from going out of whack, no matter what foreign substances or unhealthy practices pull to one extreme.